What you will learn
- The federal and state laws that govern pharmacy, as well as the ethics of pharmacy practice.
- HIPAA requirements and their application to pharmacy.
- How to interpret physician orders and prescriptions.
- Techniques required to order, stock, package, prepare, and distribute medications.
- Definitions of medical and pharmaceutical terms and common abbreviations.
- The pharmacology of medications in relation to the anatomy affected.
- How to perform pharmaceutical calculations.
- How to process insurance billing and collect payments.
- How to communicate successfully with patients and medical professionals.
How you will benefit
- After successfully completing your course, you’ll receive access to the Pharmacy Technician Certification Exam (PTCE) practice tests to help you study for your certification exam.
- Jump start your career towards working as a Pharmacy Aide, Pharmacy Technician, Certified Pharmacy Technician, Health Technician/Technologist, Medical Laboratory Technician, Medical Records Clerk/Technician, or a Nursing Assistant.
- You will get hands-on practice in retail pharmacy procedures through an online lab module, applying what you’ve learned to fill mock prescriptions.
- You will have the opportunity to apply for a 100+ hour externship.
If you’re interested in becoming a pharmacy technician, this course is for you! No healthcare or medical office work experience is required.
You should be proficient in keyboarding (approximately 35 words per minute), have a basic understanding of a word-processing computer program (Microsoft Word is recommended), and have a command of English grammar and punctuation.
You are encouraged to have a basic understanding of high school math including percent’s and proportions at the algebra level. This course will provide a review of fractions and decimals, in addition to covering more advanced pharmacy equations.
In order to sit for the national certification exam, you must complete a PTCB-Recognized Education program or have equivalent work experience; this course is recognized by the Pharmacy Technician Certification Board (PTCB). Click here for additional information about equivalent work experience.
To participate in the retail externships, you must apply and fulfill all state and local pharmacy requirements. This will include a background check and drug test. There is no guarantee for externship placement.
- This course can be taken on either a PC or Mac.
- PC: Windows 8 or newer.
- Mac: OS X Snow Leopard 10.6 or later.
- Browser: The latest version of Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox are preferred. Microsoft Edge and Safari are also compatible.
- Adobe Acrobat Reader. Click here to download the Acrobat Reader.
- Software must be installed and fully operational before the course begins.
- Email capabilities and access to a personal email account.
Instructional Material Requirements:
The instructional materials required for this course are included in enrollment. The following textbooks will be shipped to you approximately 7-10 business days after enrollment:
- The Pharmacy Technician: A Comprehensive Approach
- Pharmaceutical Calculations for Pharmacy Technicians
- Law and Ethics for Pharmacy Technicians
- Fundamental Pharmacology for Pharmacy Technicians
- Fundamental Pharmacology for Pharmacy Technicians Workbook
- Pharmacy Lab Kit and Manual (e-Science)
- Virtual Medication Safety for Technicians – Online
- Virtual Inventory Management for Technicians – Online
- Virtual Pharmacy Externship for Technicians – Online
- Externship packet and lab coat provided upon acceptance into the Externship Program