Administrative medical assistants are skilled multi-taskers who direct the flow of patients through an office. Effective patient flow allows the practice to operate efficiently, increase revenue, and provide a positive experience for the patient.
Medical Terminology is the language of medicine. You will study word parts and the structures and functions of the human body. You will also study disorders and medical procedures common to each body system, including musculoskeletal, cardiovascular, respiratory, digestive, nervous, endocrine, integumentary, genitourinary, lymphatic, and immune.
This course offers valuable training in medical office management and legal, ethical, and regulatory concepts that are central to this field, including HIPAA compliance and third-party guidelines for filing insurance claims. You will gain hands-on, practical experience in medical billing and coding and work with the main coding manual ICD-10-CM, ICD-10-PCS, CPT, and HCPCS Level II. You will learn how to code diagnoses, services, and procedures for all systems of the body.
Upon completion of this course, you’ll be well prepared to find your place in this rewarding healthcare career. You will also be able to sit for the Certified Coding Associate (CCA) exam, offered by the American Health Information Management Association (AHIMA), and the Certified Medical Administrative Assistant (CMAA) exam, offered by National Healthcareer Association (NHA). This course includes vouchers that cover the fees for the (CCA) and (CMAA) exams.
This course will also prepare you to sit for the Certified Billing and Coding Specialist (CBCS) exam and Certified Professional Coder (CPC) exam. Note that the exam fees are not included for the (CBCS) or (CPC) exams.
There are no prerequisites to take this course. However, in order to sit for national certification exams, candidates must have a high school diploma or equivalent; therefore, it is recommended you have this before enrolling for this course.
- This course can be taken on either a PC or Mac.
- PC: Windows 8 or newer.
- Mac: OS X Snow Leopard 10.6 or later.
- Browser: The latest version of Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox are preferred. Microsoft Edge and Safari are also compatible.
- Microsoft Word (not included in enrollment).
- Windows Media Player or a similar program.
- Adobe Acrobat Reader. Click here to download the Acrobat Reader.
- Software must be installed and fully operational before the course begins.
- Email capabilities and access to a personal email account.
Instructional Material Requirements:
The instructional materials required for this course are included in enrollment. The following textbooks will be shipped to you approximately 7-10 business days after enrollment:
- Administrative Medical Assisting
- A Guide to Health Insurance Billing
- ICD-10-PCS Professional
- CPT Standard
- HCPCS Level II Professional
- ICD-10-CMExpert for Physicians with Guidelines
- Professional Review Guide for the CCA Examination
- Medical Terminology for Health Professions