An executive assistant needs a broad skill set to be able to provide direct support to their organization’s leadership. If you’re pursuing a career as an executive assistant, this course will prepare you for the Certified Administrative Professional (CAP) and teach you key business management skills. This body of knowledge will help you thrive in an executive assistant role in any corporate office setting.
You will learn the intricacies of organizational communication, office and records management, and human resources fundamentals, among other topics. You’ll also gain an understanding of financial and accounting terms, successful negotiation strategies, the marketing process, employment law, compliance and regulatory requirements, and licensing, permits, and taxes.
You should have basic keyboarding and computer skills, be comfortable navigating the Internet and using email, and have an understanding of a word-processing program (such as Word). This course is intended for anyone interested in developing their management skills.
- This course can be taken on either a PC or Mac.
- PC: Windows 8 or newer.
- Mac: OS X Snow Leopard 10.6 or later.
- Browser: The latest version of Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox are preferred. Microsoft Edge and Safari are also compatible.
- Microsoft Office or OpenOffice (not included in enrollment).
- Adobe Acrobat Reader. Click here to download the Acrobat Reader.
- QuickTime. Click here to download QuickTime.
- Software must be installed and fully operational before the course begins.
- Email capabilities and access to a personal email account.
Instructional Material Requirements:
The instructional materials required for this course are included in enrollment. The following textbook will be shipped to you approximately 7-10 business days after enrollment:
- Managing by the Numbers: A Commonsense Guide to Understanding and using your Company’s Financials
- Strategic Planning – A Pragmatic Guide
- The Administrative Professional, Rankin and Shumack
Certification Eligibility Requirements:
Candidates must meet specific education and administrative office support professional experience, which are:
- No College Degree – 4 years of relevant work experience is required
- Associates Degree – 3 years of relevant work experience is required
- Bachelor’s Degree – 2 years of relevant work experience is required
All relevant work experience must have been earned within the last ten years.
Relevant work experience qualifies as office and administrative professionals who engage in some, if not all, of the following:
- Communicate within the organization (both verbal and written)
- Conduct business writing, including proofreading and editing
- Maintain office functions and record keeping
- Plan meetings, events, and arrange travel
- Manage projects
- Engage in or support human relations activities, such as hiring and compliance issues
- Maintain budgets and basic accounting functions
- Manage time and other resources for themselves and others
- Utilize technology, including virtual and mobile, with strong computer and internet research skills
- Coordinate communications between internal staff and/or external clients
Please visit https://www.iaap-hq.org/page/Certification for more detailed information on eligibility.